Friday, May 23, 2008

It's Not Just Fashion and Hollywood. It's the Music Industry, Too.

In an interview with The Guardian, Alannis Morissette reveals that a record executive's comments about her weight triggered a bout with bulimia. "[He] suggested I was getting too fat, saying, 'You need to go on a diet.' My response was, 'But I'm a singer.' He said, 'Yes, well, you need to get small again.' That started a whole cycle. Two days later I was sticking my fingers down my throat."

Morissette, who is working on a memoir that will cover "sexuality, beauty, relationships and work", has struggled with low self-esteem and perfectionism for most of her life. Her problems with anorexia and bulimia began when she was sixteen, and becoming famous didn't help. "[F]ame is tough to navigate when your relationship with yourself is still healing, and the rupture is festering and bleeding in public," she says.

Giving up that quest to be perfect is a big part of getting healthy, but being an imperfect, independent-minded woman in the entertainment industry doesn't win you too many friends with the higher ups. "It's such a common, daily thing I don't even notice it any more," she says. "It's scary for them, especially if there's money involved. I'm a liability to them - I'm a woman, I'm empowered, I'm an artist. I've had executives who can't come to my shows they're so scared of me. I've been a thorn in many people's sides just by existing." [Guardian]

5 comments:

Veronica said...

That perfectionism is obvious on "Jagged Little Pill" and not just on "perfect." Which is why I still love that CD. There will always be a part of me that's still in my early 20s and unsure about myself.

KC said...

I LOVE Alanis! I've heard bits about her ED before, and I'm really happy she's coming more forward with it. I've always admired the way she's never glamorized it.

Anonymous said...

I love her! I like all her songs!

I would love to see your blog listed at HerBlogDirectory.com

Anonymous said...

I guess it sayes something if she has been successfull despite the industry trying to push her around. she 's a pretty strong lady now.

Anonymous said...

Aw, poor Alanis -- she was sorta unstable to begin with. You can hear her singing it to herself in "I Would Be Good" (even if I gained 10 pounds...) It's so unfair and wrong that even the stars who are supposed to be our "role models" feel this pressure.